Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

General FAQ's

  • Do you sell gas?
  • Yes, we do sell gas in a number of different forms.
    We stock a large range of Calor gas, including Propane, Butane and a Propane mix.
    Propane is sold in orange bottles, Butane is sold is blue bottles and Propane mix is sold in green bottles.
    We also sell disposable gas canisters in-store, for your portable gas stoves and other appliances.
    All of our gas is sold from our Caravan Shop, located at the rear of the site, beside the large car-park.
    To check stock of a particular gas bottle/canister, call us on 01707 262526 and select option 2.
    Gas is available for collection only.
    Click here to order for Click & Collect: Calor Gas

  • Do I have to make my insurance company aware of a towbar installation?
  • Yes, we do advise letting your motor insurance company know of a towbar installation as some insurance companies class a towbar as a modification. Although GT Towing cannot guarantee this, it's unlikely that the modification is to effect your insurance premium.
  • What [weight] can I tow?
  • To check how much weight your vehicle is capable of towing, simply check your V5C Registration Document for your vehicle. Within your V5C registration document, this will state your unbraked and braked towing limits.

    If you would like to check if your vehicle is capable of towing a particular caravan, GT Towing have a quick tool that we can use to give you the answer! Simply call us on 01707 262526, select option 2 and we can provide you with a non-obligatory answer to your question. Please have your vehicle registration along with your make & model of caravan, to hand.
  • How do I find out which brake shoes my trailer or caravan needs?
  • First, you must identify the brand of brake shoe.
    This is usually stamped on the brake shoe itself, or, on the data plate on the axle.
    Once you have established the brand of the shoe, you will need to find out what size you have.
    You will need two measurements. Firstly, measure the width of the face of the shoe. This measurement will usually be within 30mm - 60mm.
    Once you have this measurement, you will then need to find out the diameter of the drum.
    This will give you your second measurement required. Simply lay a ruler across the face of the inside of the drum. This measurement will usually be within 160mm - 300mm.
    An example of the format of your findings will be Knott (Brand) 250 x 40mm (Size) or ALKO (Brand) 200 x 50mm (Size).
  • My 13 pin plug won't line up with my socket. How can I re-align my plug?
  • What are your opening hours?
  • Our opening hours are as follows:
    Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:30pm
    Saturday: 8:30am - 1:30pm
  • Do you deliver trailers or caravans?
  • Unfortunately, we do not offer a delivery service for trailers or caravans.
    All trailers and caravans must be collected from our registered address:
    GT Towing Ltd
    Great North Road
    Welham Green (Nr Hatfield)
    AL9 5SD
  • Am I legal to tow? Do I have the licence to tow?
  • Under the new driving licence regulations (December 2021), you will no longer have to undergo a DSA B+E car and trailer test to obtain the B+E Licence category on your driving licence.

    The regulations state: If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’re now allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM. Check your car’s handbook to find out its gross train weight (GTW). This is the total allowable weight of the car plus the trailer plus the load.
    It’s best to take training from a driving instructor if you want to start driving a car and trailer. To find out more, see our Car & Trailer Training page.

    Driving License showing B+E entitlement
  • My wheel has locked up on my trailer/caravan. What shall I do?
  • Unfortunately, from time to time, your brake shoes will stick to the inside of the brake drum, causing your wheel to lock.
    This is caused when the handbrake is left on whilst the trailer/caravan is parked and stationary for any length of time.
    When the weather changes from mild to cold during night and day, the condensation build up causes the shoe to stick to the inside of the drum.
    The easy way to release the locked wheel, is to lay a piece of wood or protective cloth over the wheel bolts, then knock the wood/cloth/wheel bolts gently with a mallet or hammer.
    You will hear a distinctive 'clunk', which is the brake shoe releasing from the inside of the drum.
    Once you have heard that sound, the wheel should then be free.
    We recommend, where possible, your trailer or caravan is parked with the handbrake off and instead, chocked.
  • What documents do I need to provide to have a number plate made?
  • To get your number plates made you'll need to bring the right documents with you to store to get your new plates.
    The law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement to the registration mark quoted in order to get replacement number plates.
    If you reserve your plates online, they can't be made until we have verified your documents in-store.

    At least one original document from each of the lists below is required for us to supply you with a legal number plate - i.e. you need to bring one document listed under 'Proof of Identity', and one from the list 'Proof of Entitlement', required by the DVLA to prove that you are allowed to display the plate.
    Together, the two documents must let us check your name, address and vehicle entitlement. We only accept the following documents (as guided by the DVLA):

    1. Proof of Identity:

    - Driving licence

    - Bank/Building Society statement issued within the last six months

    - Current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill issued within the last six months

    - Passport

    - National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK

    - Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society

    - Police warrant card

    - Armed forces identity card

    - Remember - whichever Proof of Identity document you bring needs to show your name and address!

    2. Proof of Entitlement:

    - A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted, and not the old blue V5 Certificates)

    - The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)

    - A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)

    - A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)

    - A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)

    - A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)

    - An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp, or a downloaded hard copy of the eV948 (Unfortunately we cannot accept forms shown to us on phones.)

    - A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C

    For us to get your registration plates made, you may sometimes need to provide a third document if the two documents brought into store do not show your address.
    For example, if you bring a debit card and V948 into store, neither document shows where you live - so you'd need to bring in another listed document for proof of address.

    Please note: These are legal guidelines imposed by the DVLA, and sadly we can't provide you with new or replacement registration plates without the correct documents!
Free Click & Collect

Free Click & Collect

Reserve online, collect in-store. Avoid postage fees and collect your items from our store in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Delivery Rates

Delivery Rates

Spend £45.00 for free delivery. Size restrictions apply. Delivery excludes roof boxes, trailers, caravans and other large items. Same day dispatch if ordered by 2pm!

Towbar Fitting

Towbar Fitting

Get it done by the pro's! All towbars fitted are covered by a lifetime warranty and all electrical parts and relays are guaranteed for 2 years.